Sunday, January 10, 2010

SU186 Tri Shutter Christmas

I finally tried one of these cards! I stayed away from them cause they just looked so complicated. I was surprised at how simple they are!

I did find that it is best to do ALL the prep work BEFORE putting the card together. If you haven’t tried making one, do so! You will enjoy it!

I have used a lot of words in my description but it is really quite simple. I have used only three colors of cardstock. Whatever you use as your card base, use that as your ink color for over stamping and sponging. I don’t use purchased patterned paper very often … guess I feel I have enough stamps that I can make my own.

Stamps: Season of Joy, Wonderful Words 11, A Cardinal Christmas.

Ink: Night of Navy pigment, Real Red, Tempting Turquoise.

Cardstock: Night of Navy, Tempting Turquoise, Real Red

Accessories: 12” ribbon, mounts, sponge, clear EP, Iridescent Ice EP, Martha Stewart border punch, jumbo snowflake wheel, Hot to Dot wheel.

Cut Night of Navy cardstock 6” x 12”. Score in 2” and 4” from the left and right side.

Cut from the first score line to the last score line at 11/2” from the bottom. Repeat at the top. Do NOT fold yet. Set aside.

Cut Real Red cardstock 53/4 x 61/4”. Lightly trace these measurements (photo on left) on the wrong side just so there is no mistake when cutting. Use the snowflake wheel with Real Red ink to cover the front.

Cut Tempting Turquoise cardstock 51/2 x 61/4”. Lightly trace these measurements (photo below) on the wrong side just so there is no mistake when cutting. Use the Hot to Dot wheel with Tempting Turquoise ink to cover the front.


Now cut out the pieces. As you can see by the photos below, you have very little waste. Do your over stamping now then sponge all the edges. See below. I placed a mount behind the flower and a couple behind the oval scallop.

Tie ribbon around the bottom large rectangle and tie a knot. Make sure your knot is to the right side of the rectangle. I have not folded my card yet – it is much easier to work on a flat surface. Glue all your pieces on to the card. I gave the flower a half turn before mounting it so the one underneath would show too. See photo below.
Now start folding. The first fold next to the word Peace has to be a mountain fold. See photo below. Next is a valley fold, then mountain fold etc. Open up the card and fold the middle piece only in opposite folds. That is it, you are done!

I received Tri Shutter cards from Irene and Sherry both off the CST stamping group. I kinda combined the two to come up with this one. There are also instructions on Splitcoaststampers HERE. Beate has a video at the bottom of that same page too.

3 comments:

  1. Great card Carol! I started to try one, but never finished it! LOL! It is all the pieces that freaked me out! Maybe I will finish it now. Thanks sweetheart! Hugs Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great tutorial. I too, have never tried this because it intimidated me. With your great instructions, I might just have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the help on this. I guess I should try one now. Yours came out so pretty. I love how you made the patt paper yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...